This week on the Delivering WOW podcast I spoke to Dr. Evelyn Samuel.
Dr. Samuel became a Dental Practice and Small Business Efficiency coach by chance. After achieving her life-time goal of becoming a Dentist, she set out to provide excellence within her chosen field. She had a unique experience after her residency. She worked in many different types of practices as a contractor and saw first-hand that although many of the owner dentists were excellent clinicians, they didn't have systems in place to run their businesses effectively. In fact, she continued to see the trend of dentists who were hands-off with their businesses, many times hearing them say, “I just want to do dentistry.”
When Dr. Samuel opened her first dental practice from scratch, she discovered she had a gift for running the business and even hired business coaches before opening her doors and ‘hanging her shingle.' She and her team continuously read books on and took courses to enhancing the experience of her practice's customers/patients.
Years later after helping many colleagues set up/run their practices and publishing a book, ‘100 Things I HATE/Love About Dentistry: A professional's guide to efficiency profitability and sanity!‘ with practical vignettes of how to run an effective business, Dr. Samuel established her Efficiency Coaching Firm.
On the podcast we discussed:
- Evelyn’s journey to where she is today
- How she gained unique experience working in many different practices before setting up in private practice, and how she realized many practices lacked systems
- The lack of education in dental schools on being a CEO and a business owner
- How important it is to know everything about your practice – you shouldn’t do everything but you should know about it
- The most important systems that dentists need to focus on first
- How effective it can be to role play out systems with your team
- How to get your team on-board with systems
- How to get started with developing systems
- Evelyn’s new course – How to Start a Practice From Scratch
- Getting started with opening a dental practice and why you should work out what your life goals are and ensure your practice aligns with them
- Techniques for achieving our goals and the importance of learning about business and having a coach
- What efficiency means to Evelyn
Evelyn can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can head to efficiencyinstitute.com to find information about her ‘How to Start a Practice From Scratch' course and virtual workshops.
Here's a trailer of the podcast episode: